real-time update question

Stent, Bob

I am just starting out with Kamailio.  One of the things I want to be able to do is add a domain to the configuration and have Kamailio pick it up without having to restart.

I see there is a runtime update framework but I am having trouble navigating the documentation to find out what this actually does for me.

Can somebody point me to the right set of docs to read to figure this out?

Do I simply add an alias to the kamalio.cfg file and somehow send an RPC command to Kamalio to re-read configuration?

Bob Stent

Aspect Software

5 Technology Park Drive Suite #9

Westford, MA 01886

This email (including any attachments) is proprietary to Aspect Software, Inc. and may contain information that is confidential. If you have received this message in error, please do not read, copy or forward this message. Please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. You may not further disclose or distribute this email or its attachments.

Re: real-time update question

Fred Posner-2
On 9/5/17 9:41 AM, Stent, Bob wrote:
> I am just starting out with Kamailio.  One of the things I want to be
> able to do is add a domain to the configuration and have Kamailio pick
> it up without having to restart.
>
> [snipped]

I understand that restarting Kamailio may freak you out... but, it
doesn't have to.

Kamailio is a stateless proxy.

Unless you have something specific running in memory space (such as with
htables, etc), this means that Kamailio doesn't "remember" any of the
traffic that it proxies; instead using the information within the SIP
traffic to route the packets. A restart of the service does not have an
effect on the routing of this traffic, since the system is not using
memory to guide the proxying of traffic.

--fred

Re: real-time update question

Alex Balashov
On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 01:38:50PM -0400, Fred Posner wrote:

> I understand that restarting Kamailio may freak you out... but, it doesn't
> have to.

+1.

> Unless you have something specific running in memory space (such as
> with htables, etc), this means that Kamailio doesn't "remember" any of
> the traffic that it proxies; instead using the information within the
> SIP traffic to route the packets. A restart of the service does not
> have an effect on the routing of this traffic, since the system is not
> using memory to guide the proxying of traffic.

Yep, generally true. The exception would be CANCELs, since they are
hop-by-hop and require state in order to route. Another wrinkle is TCP
state if you use TCP or TLS, obviously.

But in the main, this is absolutely right. Restarting Kamailio isn't
that scary and doesn't inherently cause anything to drop or fail.

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)