new release of admin guide available

Greg Fausak-2
Has this documentation always been available?

This is definately making a difference for me!

I am afraid this is all I needed to start
asking some real stupid questions...

I'll start with this, first, a few assertions:

'forward' is built in to the routing engine?
forward(host, port)
        As I understand it, forward simply sends the message to the
        hostname and port I specify, statelessly.
forward(uri:host, uri:port)
        This sends the message to the host and port as specified
        by the current uri, statelessly.

't_relay' is a module, not part of the main routing engine.
t_relay_to(host, port)
        Send the message to host and port 'statefully'.
t_relay()
        Send the message to the host and port as specified by
        the current uri, statefully.

OK, now a question. These two sets of operations seem very
similar on the surface.  I think I understand 'statelessly', the
message is simply fired off and all memory of the message is
gone.  I am trying to grasp 'stateful'.  What exactly is
different when using 't_relay()'?  I am having a hard time
coming to understand 'stateful' transactions.

---greg
Greg Fausak
August.Net Services, LLC

>http://www.iptel.org/ser/admin.html
>
>Comments very much appreciated.
>
>-Jiri
>
>--
>Jiri Kuthan            http://iptel.org/~jiri/

new release of admin guide available

Jiri Kuthan-3
At 07:08 PM 12/9/2002, Greg Fausak wrote:
>Has this documentation always been available?
>
>This is definately making a difference for me!

We just released this documentation update.

Yes, forward is built-in, t_relay/t_relay_to is
part of tm modules. forward(<host>,<port>) or
t_relay_to("<host>", "<port>") sends a request
to the address in params. forward(uri:host, uri:port)
and t_relay() sends a request to the address in current
URI.

The trade-offs between stateless forward and stateful
t_relay are described in
http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/seruser-html/x740.html#AEN839

If you do not not, whether to go stateful or stateless,
you will be probably better if with stateful.

Cheers,

-Jiri

--
Jiri Kuthan            http://iptel.org/~jiri/