Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Paul Claudiu Boriga
Hello all,

We found out that when using cfg variables certain keywords are not
allowed, and Kamailio logs a generic error:
<core> [cfg.y:3368]: yyerror_at(): parse error in config file
/etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg, line 256, column 9-14: syntax error

For example we cannot use words like enable/disable for var name or
group name but we can use disabled or enabled:

group_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"

Looking into the cfg.lex file, I noticed that these are keywords which
will be interpreted as values (I don't have too much experience with
flex/bison so I am not sure I got this right).

We have been using Kamailio 4.4 to test this, but I think it is not
specific to a version.

Is this behavior documented somewhere? If not, where should it be
documented? Also can we have a more specific log message in this case?

Thank you,

Claudiu Boriga.

Re: Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Daniel-Constantin Mierla-6
Hello,

On 02.06.17 13:16, Paul Claudiu Boriga wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We found out that when using cfg variables certain keywords are not
> allowed, and Kamailio logs a generic error:
> <core> [cfg.y:3368]: yyerror_at(): parse error in config file
> /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg, line 256, column 9-14: syntax error
>
> For example we cannot use words like enable/disable for var name or
> group name but we can use disabled or enabled:
>
> group_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"
>
> Looking into the cfg.lex file, I noticed that these are keywords which
> will be interpreted as values (I don't have too much experience with
> flex/bison so I am not sure I got this right).
>
> We have been using Kamailio 4.4 to test this, but I think it is not
> specific to a version.
>
> Is this behavior documented somewhere? If not, where should it be
> documented? Also can we have a more specific log message in this case?

this should be documented in the core cookbook:

  -
https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/devel/core#custom_global_parameters

Was it the only error message printed in this case?

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla

Re: Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Paul Claudiu Boriga
Hello Daniel,

Kamailio logs 2 error messages in the logfile:

Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
line 254, column 9-14: syntax error
Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
line 254, column 9-14:

This is the line 254 from the config:

my_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"

Regards,
Claudiu.

On 02.06.2017 15:58, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> Hello,
>

> On 02.06.17 13:16, Paul Claudiu Boriga wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We found out that when using cfg variables certain keywords are not
>> allowed, and Kamailio logs a generic error:
>> <core> [cfg.y:3368]: yyerror_at(): parse error in config file
>> /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg, line 256, column 9-14: syntax error
>>
>> For example we cannot use words like enable/disable for var name or
>> group name but we can use disabled or enabled:
>>
>> group_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"
>>
>> Looking into the cfg.lex file, I noticed that these are keywords which
>> will be interpreted as values (I don't have too much experience with
>> flex/bison so I am not sure I got this right).
>>
>> We have been using Kamailio 4.4 to test this, but I think it is not
>> specific to a version.
>>
>> Is this behavior documented somewhere? If not, where should it be
>> documented? Also can we have a more specific log message in this case?
>>
> this should be documented in the core cookbook:
>
>    -
> https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/devel/core#custom_global_parameters
>
> Was it the only error message printed in this case?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Re: Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Daniel-Constantin Mierla-6
Hello,

ok, I will reproduce myself and see what can be improved there.

Meanwhile, you can update the wiki and add a note about this case so
others will be aware of the conflict.

Cheers,
Daniel

On 06.06.17 08:44, Paul Claudiu Boriga wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
>
> Kamailio logs 2 error messages in the logfile:
>
> Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
> yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
> line 254, column 9-14: syntax error
> Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
> yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
> line 254, column 9-14:
>
> This is the line 254 from the config:
>
> my_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"
>
> Regards,
> Claudiu.
>

> On 02.06.2017 15:58, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> On 02.06.17 13:16, Paul Claudiu Boriga wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> We found out that when using cfg variables certain keywords are not
>>> allowed, and Kamailio logs a generic error:
>>> <core> [cfg.y:3368]: yyerror_at(): parse error in config file
>>> /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg, line 256, column 9-14: syntax error
>>>
>>> For example we cannot use words like enable/disable for var name or
>>> group name but we can use disabled or enabled:
>>>
>>> group_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"
>>>
>>> Looking into the cfg.lex file, I noticed that these are keywords which
>>> will be interpreted as values (I don't have too much experience with
>>> flex/bison so I am not sure I got this right).
>>>
>>> We have been using Kamailio 4.4 to test this, but I think it is not
>>> specific to a version.
>>>
>>> Is this behavior documented somewhere? If not, where should it be
>>> documented? Also can we have a more specific log message in this case?
>>>
>> this should be documented in the core cookbook:
>>
>>    -
>> https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/devel/core#custom_global_parameters
>>

>> Was it the only error message printed in this case?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel

Daniel-Constantin Mierla

Re: Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Daniel-Constantin Mierla-6
I pushed a patch to catch this situation and present a more suggestive
error message. It will be backported to stable branches.

Cheers,
Daniel

On 06.06.17 09:34, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ok, I will reproduce myself and see what can be improved there.
>
> Meanwhile, you can update the wiki and add a note about this case so
> others will be aware of the conflict.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>

> On 06.06.17 08:44, Paul Claudiu Boriga wrote:
>> Hello Daniel,
>>
>> Kamailio logs 2 error messages in the logfile:
>>
>> Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
>> yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
>> line 254, column 9-14: syntax error
>> Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
>> yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
>> line 254, column 9-14:
>>
>> This is the line 254 from the config:
>>
>> my_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"
>>
>> Regards,
>> Claudiu.
>>

>> On 02.06.2017 15:58, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

>>> this should be documented in the core cookbook:
>>>
>>>    -
>>> https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/devel/core#custom_global_parameters
>>>

>>> Was it the only error message printed in this case?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Daniel

Daniel-Constantin Mierla

Re: Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Paul Claudiu Boriga
Hello,

I have added a note to the wiki, in the custom_global_parameters section:

Note: Some words cannot be used as names for custom variables or groups,
and if they are used a syntax error is logged by kamailio. These
keywords are: “yes”, “true”, “on”, “enable”, “no”, “false”, “off”,
“disable”, “udp”, “UDP”, “tcp”, “TCP”, “tls”, “TLS”, “sctp”, “SCTP”,
“ws”, “WS”, “wss”, “WSS”, “inet”, “INET”, “inet6”, “INET6”, “sslv23”,
“SSLv23”, “SSLV23”, “sslv2”, “SSLv2”, “SSLV2”, “sslv3”, “SSLv3”,
“SSLV3”, “tlsv1”, “TLSv1”, “TLSV1”

Regards,

Claudiu.

On 06.06.2017 10:34, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ok, I will reproduce myself and see what can be improved there.
>
> Meanwhile, you can update the wiki and add a note about this case so
> others will be aware of the conflict.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>

> On 06.06.17 08:44, Paul Claudiu Boriga wrote:
>> Hello Daniel,
>>
>> Kamailio logs 2 error messages in the logfile:
>>
>> Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
>> yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
>> line 254, column 9-14: syntax error
>> Jun  2 15:03:51 test-proxy1-bs kamailio: : <core> [cfg.y:3368]:
>> yyerror_at(): parse error in config file /etc/kamailio/kamailio.cfg,
>> line 254, column 9-14:
>>
>> This is the line 254 from the config:
>>
>> my_name.enable = 1 descr "test variable"
>>
>> Regards,
>> Claudiu.
>>

>> On 02.06.2017 15:58, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

>>> this should be documented in the core cookbook:
>>>
>>>     -
>>> https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/devel/core#custom_global_parameters
>>>

>>> Was it the only error message printed in this case?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Daniel

Re: Using reserved keywords in cfg variables

Daniel-Constantin Mierla-6
Hello,

ok, thanks! Contributions to docs are always appreciated!

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel-Constantin Mierla